Title: String Instructor
Program: El Sistema Grey Bruce – The Big Sound
Reports to: Board President
Hours: 9 hours/week
Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. following the BWDSB school calendar
Dates: October 2019 – June 2020
Pay rate: $35.00 Hourly
El Sistema Grey Bruce (The Big Sound) ( https://thebigsound.org/) is seeking an enthusiastic, highly-motivated, and compassionate violin instructor who is committed to working with and motivating children from priority communities in a group environment.
The Big Sound is an inclusive after-school music program that seeks to affect social change through the pursuit of musical excellence. This program helps children and young people achieve their full potential and create social change in their community. The Big Sound focuses on children with the fewest resources and greatest need and is delivered at no cost to participants.
The String Instructor is part of a team of instructors who collaborate to facilitate both ensemble learning and individual progress, in alignment with El Sistema’s ideas of musical excellence and social inclusion. The position will be responsible for leading beginner string (violin) classes.
The Instructor will ensure the highest quality playing experience, create curriculum and pedagogy in collaboration with other instructors, and nurture each child holistically. The position will support the mission and community of The Big Sound, and have a strong commitment to excellence in artistry, pedagogy and advocacy.
- Collaborate with other instructors
- Lead groups of 15-20 students (Grades 4-6).
- Instruct ensemble sessions two days a week and provide small group coaching sessions one day a week
- Cultivate and maintain a positive classroom environment
- Implement successful strategies for behaviour management with a large ensemble
- Deliver curriculum, solo pieces, non-instrument exercises such as team-building and creating community.
- Prepare materials and learning space prior to ensemble rehearsal
- Present a dynamic and exciting energy that will push students to higher levels of achievement.
- Be creative and engage the students musically as much as possible.
- Choose pieces that are age/ability appropriate and that teach fundamental playing skills including material from various cultures, genres, and countries.
- Attend music pedagogy and professional development sessions
- Prepare for and participate in The Big Sound performances
- Communicate with other instructors regarding student’s participation and progress including attending meetings and writing reports
- Prepare and distribute repertoire, exercises and other music materials Provide curriculum support to other instructors in the program to ensure proper progress is made
- Assist with full orchestra rehearsal of up to 60 children with a focus on providing support to your respective student group. This focus includes assisting with set-up, playing with their section, actively ensuring that each child in the section can participate and has the support they need during the full orchestra time.
- Possess a B.Mus. or M.A. in Music or Music Education
- Skills and ability to manage student behaviour and communicate effectively
- Demonstrate excellent musicianship and artistry as a performer and teacher
- Strong commitment to El Sistema philosophy of social change through music and the mission of El Sistema Grey Bruce – The Big Sound
- Strong leadership, interpersonal, and communication skills, with the ability to be flexible and work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community
- Ability to problem solve and adapt to changing circumstances
- Experience teaching strings, particularly violin in a group setting
- Experience leading groups of young children, including an understanding of constructive behaviour management skills
- Knowledge of string repertoire, curriculum and pedagogy
- Experience working with children from diverse backgrounds; experience working with underserved communities
- Interest and ability to be a motivational mentor and role model for students, parents, and peers as an artist, teacher and citizen
- Ability to work independently as well as under frequent observation
- Provide a current copy (less than 6 months) of a Criminal Record Check and Child Abuse Registry.
Applicants should submit their cover letter (~2 pages) and resume by 5:00 p.m. on October 15, 2019 to email@example.com.